Charitable Trusts

Gifts That Pay Income

Some planned gifts allow you to support Texas State while also generating income. These gifts provide dependable income for you and/or your family, current and future tax savings, and a means to support Texas State. Preserve what you love.

Charitable Gift Annuity

Receive stable lifetime payments and significant tax benefits. In exchange for your gift, Texas State promises to pay a fixed income for life for a maximum of two beneficiaries you name. The payment rate is determined by the beneficiary’s age. You will be eligible for an immediate income tax deduction and a portion of future annuity payments will be tax-free.

Charitable Remainder

This Charitable Remainder Unitrust creates a flexible source of income and tax advantages. You receive income for life or a term of years in return for your gift. The trust pays a specified percentage of the principal, which is appraised annually, to you or income beneficiaries you name. You receive an immediate income tax deduction for a portion of your contribution. Additional contributions can be made to the trust for additional income and tax benefits. The trust assets become the property of Texas State to be used as you have directed when the trust terminates.

Deferred Gift Annuity

Build retirement earnings and increase tax advantages by deferring the start of annuity payments. Receive an immediate income tax deduction for your gift and set annuity payments to begin at a future date when you will need them. Deferral of payments permits a higher payment rate and generates a larger charitable deduction. Maximum of two beneficiaries. Payments begin at age 65.

Charitable Annuity Trust

A Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust allows you to receive fixed payments and tax advantages. Similar to the Unitrust, except you receive a fixed income in return for your gift. Since annual income payments are based on the initial value of the trust’s assets, additional contributions cannot be made.

For More Information

To learn more about Estate Planning, please contact Dr. Dan Perry in the Office of Development at or call 512.245.4055.